Tick testing for infectious agents
The service of tick testing is currently unavailable!
Tick testing in Riga. Our laboratory can test the tick for:
About the test
If you're looking for a laboratory that offers to test ticks - here we are! GenEra Laboratory offers to test removed ticks for pathogenic microorganisms.
We offer a highly sensitive molecular-biological test that in a single tick can detect up to four pathogens simultaneously. We test ticks for a single pathogen, or two to four pathogens at the same time in a single test:
- Tick testing for tick-borne encephalitis
- Tick testing for Lyme disease or borreliosis*
- Tick testing for Lyme disease AND tick-borne encephalitis
- Tick testing for Lyme disease, tick-borne encephalitis, ehrlichiosis, and anaplasmosis.
The testing of ticks against Lyme disease, anaplasmosis, and ehrlichiosis is particularly relevant, as there is no vaccination against these diseases.
* When testing a tick for Lyme disease or borreliosis, we simultaneously test for three of the most common pathogens.
Tick testing - what should I do?
To deliver a tick for testing, it must be removed as soon as possible and as intact as possible, then brought to our laboratory:
1. The tick should be placed on a damp cloth or cotton ball in a small, clean container with a stopper or screw cap (a zip-lock bag can also be used).
2. As soon as possible bring the tick to SIA GenEra Laboratory along with the testing application form that can be downloadedhere.
3. After successful payment, we will begin the testing, which takes on average up to 3 working days.
- In the comment section of the form, state whether you want to test the tick simultaneously for 4 pathogens, for two pathogens, or Lyme disease or encephalitis alone.
- Before delivery to the laboratory, the tick should be stored in a fridge, at 2–8 degrees Celsius (preferable for no more than 72 hours).
- You can also deliver the tick without arriving at the Laboratory - send it by post, with a courier, or through a parcel terminal. In this case please contact us in advance. If the tick is delivered by post or courier, the laboratory does not take any liability if the tick is no longer alive upon receipt. Given the current situation and delivery delays through parcel terminals, we recommend choosing other options.
- The laboratory recommends testing whole, live ticks! Prolonged storage (longer than 72 hours) or a dead tick increases the risk of false-negative results.
Tick test prices
|Test name||Test turnaround time||Price (EUR)|
DNA/RNA test for borreliosis (Lyme disease), tick-borne encephalitis, ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis
|3 days|| 43|
Borreliosis (Lyme disease) DNA test
|3 days|| 15|
Tick-borne encephalitis RNA test
|3 days|| 15|
Borreliosis (Lyme disease) and tick-borne encephalitis DNA/RNA test
|3 days|| 23|
Ticks can be removed both in medical facilities and at home
Proper removal of the tick is very important.
- Before removing the tick, the bite site must be disinfected with alcohol or vodka. Never use butter or oil, as these substances cause the tick to suffocate and vomit, thus contributing to the spread of pathogens in the wound.
- Remove the tick using special pointed tweezers that can be purchased in pharmacies, and used to grab onto the insect as close to the skin as possible; try not to compress it; slowly, with a smooth, circular motion, “unscrew” the tick. A loop made out of a thread can also be used. It is wrapped around the nose of the tick as close to the skin as possible, and the tick must be removed by pulling on the ends. If the only option to remove the tick is with your fingers, then a piece of cloth or napkin should be used for padding.
- After removing the tick, it is mandatory to clean the area with alcohol or iodine tincture. Then always wash your hands thoroughly with soap, as infectious agents can enter the body through microscopic injuries in the skin and mucous membranes.
Interpretation of results
If the test result is "POSITIVE":
- This does not necessarily mean that you will be infected with the pathogen, as it can be influenced by a number of factors;
- When receiving a positive result, your health should be monitored closely to detect the first symptoms to begin appropriate treatment as soon as possible.
If the test result is "NEGATIVE":
- This does not guarantee that you will not fall ill with any of the tick-borne diseases, as ticks carry also other disease-causing pathogens that are not detected by these tests.
- Tick bites can also cause local infections and allergic reactions.
- If the test pathogen has been at a very low concentration (for example, if the tick has been dead for a long time or stored improperly), the test result may also be false negative.
Attention! Important to know!
Please be aware that several tick-borne diseases, such as Lyme disease and anaplasmosis, can affect not only humans but also animals: our pets!
So for testing we also accept ticks taken from animals!
If the test is positive, please contact your veterinarian for further information.
SIA GenEra does not offer a tick removal service!