Maternity DNA testing
Attention! Changes to the usual visiting procedure due to the COVID-19 pandemic!
The laboratory accepts clients and patients in person strictly by prior appointment. To apply for a visit, write email@example.com or call us at +371 26267833!
Why choose the GenEra maternity test?
High accuracy - we use the Latvian (or origin-appropriate) population gene database
Fast - results are available in 5 working days or sooner
Worthwhile - we offer anonymous tests, as well as maternity tests accepted by forensic experts
Safe - we ensure the security and confidentiality of sensitive data; the testing is performed in Latvia
High quality - the testing method is internationally accredited (LVS ISO 15189:2013), as well as registered and certified by the Health Statistics and Medical Technology State Agency (La/MoB 068)
Types of maternity tests
- We offer DNA tests according to your needs - both anonymous and legally accepted.
- We recommend that you take a maternity test that is approved by a forensic expert as the first choice since the reasons for such testing are often related to legal cases.
- We are the only laboratory in Latvia that offers tests accepted by forensic experts for solving legal issues. For legally accepted tests, all test persons must arrive in the laboratory for sampling.
- The results of an anonymous maternity test do not mention names and other personal data.
- It is convenient to perform an anonymous test remotely by purchasing it in the e-store.
What is a maternity DNA test?
The test is based on the fact that everyone inherits half of their DNA molecules (chromosomes) from the mother and half from their father.To determine the biological origin of a child, i.e. whether a woman is the biological mother, it is necessary to compare the DNA material of the woman and the child to confirm or decline their biological relationship.
The standard DNA sample is a smear of the cheek mucosa (or saliva sample), which is a safe and painless procedure.
The maternity DNA test we offer is highly accurate since the results are compared in 21 or 30 DNA regions (loci). Also, we use the gene or allele frequency database of the Latvian population, which makes the test even more accurate. If any of the persons involved are of a different origin, we use the relevant database, thus ruling out the possibility of inaccurate results.
Test results (expert’s report) and STR genotypes will be stored at SIA GenEra for 10 years after testing.
If the person involved in the test chooses to receive the test report/STR genotype in person, the result can be received at SIA GenEra during its working hours within 6 months after the test. Once the 6-month period expires, the test result (opinion)/STR genotype is issued for a fee according to the current laboratory price list.
Interpretation of results:
- A positive or confirmatory result is possible if in all DNA loci tested one of the child’s results coincides with the result of the possible mother. A positive test result always has a very high statistical probability (usually starting from 99.99%).
- A negative result is when at least two or more DNA loci of the child's DNA profile do not match the result of the tested woman. In this case, the accuracy is 100%, meaning that the woman is NOT the child's biological mother.
Jautājumi par testu:Questions about testing:
- What do I need for testing?
For the “Maternity DNA Test” results to be legally valid, all persons involved in the test must arrive at GenEra laboratory in person to submit testing samples. All persons over the age of 15 must sign a consent form and are informed of the testing procedure. All persons involved in the test must present a valid identity document: passport or identity card, or birth certificate (0-14 years).
- Is it mandatory for the people involved in the testing to arrive at the laboratory at the same time?
If the court has set a specific date and time for the sampling, you must come precisely on that day and at that time. If the court has not specified the date and time for sampling, you may contact the laboratory to agree on the most convenient date and time for the sampling.
- How old should the child be for testing?
A maternity test can be performed at any age, even for a newborn baby. Since only a saliva sample is taken, it is neither painful nor dangerous for the baby.
- What samples are required?
A few hundred cells are enough for the test, so the safest and most convenient option is a saliva sample — a swab from the oral mucosa. This is exactly the sample we use for standard testing.
- What results will I receive?
You will receive a description of the assay, including the test subjects, assay methodology, equipment and reagents, and a forensic opinion of a positive or negative test result.
- How are the test results communicated?
The client receives the report only through the method of his/her choice: by e-mail, in a registered letter, or at the laboratory in person. Of course, the customer can leave his/her phone number and agree that an employee will call and announce the result, however, the results will not be provided by phone if the customer calls the laboratory himself/herself.